Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fort De Soto Time Trial Summer Trip 2012


Heading south because we were lured by the sea…quite possibly a time trial too. Why not, all the necessary equipment was already in the man van! Can you believe these gas prices? I love Love's pricing. The clerk said I should have been in an hour earlier because it was ten cents cheaper. Interesting thing about the south gas prices...they didn’t vary more than a couple cents. I guess only we northerners get ripped off at the pumps.
On our way to Savannah, we took a quick detour to see the University of South Carolina campus and grab some lunch. Big E and PMJ, I know it’s not Thursday night cock fighting, but you two can fight over who’s going to be president of this organization.

Here’s the real le coq sportif without his maillot juane. Only problem, him and all of his buddies were on summer break in Key West...not South Carolina.
While in Savannah, we spent a couple hours riding around and taking in the architecture of this historic city. It’s an incredibly easy city to get around on bikes even where bike lanes aren’t present. The Spanish moss that adorns the canopy of these enormous oak trees is really neat.
Guess Frank Schleck didn’t read this sign before the tour began. Is anybody in cycling truly clean? I sure hope Wiggo is! If you do see this sign when your out cycling, you better start your “Cavendish-like sprint” out of that neighborhood...forget about the lead out train! You better ride that bike like you stole it!

View of river street…not river road, but Reed, I would have taken these cobblestones over river road west of Mt. Chestnut. Down this little stretch of road we found several places with fantastic food to eat at during our stay.


My little, podium girl wanted to take a picture after we tackled the cobblestones. I think her effort was more than worthy of that. I think she watched Paris-Roubaix and picked up some of Boonen's technique. After riding, we decided to grab some pizza at Vinnie Van Go-Go's. I would have to say this was some of the best pizza I've ever had. If you're ever in Savannah, you need to get yourself some...the pizza crust was amazing!



The drive out to Tybee Island, Savannah's Beach, was beautiful with the salt water marshes flanking both sides of the road.



There was no messing around with that mouse in Orlando as we made our way to the St. Pete area. Finally, a sign that I can absolutely agree with! The beach was absolutely pristine. 

The road for the De Soto Time Trial was in excellent shape…very little traffic in the off season. I pre-rode the course with "sweet cheeks" first then I went back out for a second time before my 7:04.30 p.m. start.

Some of the greater Tampa Bay area speed demons. Yes, they had both the power and experience to throw it down on this short, pan flat course. It would be interesting to see how they would fare at a course like Paw Paw. De Soto TT Flyer and De Soto TT Results.

After the race, we were able to take in another one of the many amazing sunsets on our trip. No Mr. B, I didn't see the Green Flash, but I did get a drink or two from there.
I hadn’t seen the parents in a while, so we stopped off at Fort Myers Beach for a couple of days to visit and catch up.
Once again, we did some more riding. This time around Sanibel and Captiva Islands.
After visiting my parents, it was time to head to the southernmost point. What do you personally feel better about…the fact that it’s 90 miles to Cuba, or the fact that it’s 90 miles to the nearest Walmart? We spent the morning riding up and down every street in the Conch Republic avoiding the poultry and lizards.

Future home in Key Weird…maybe…maybe not?



Hogfish Bar and Grill for lunch...yes, some more tasty seafood thrown down the chute. This place is completely off the beaten path on Stock Island. I didn't see a sign for Timbuktu, so I guess I don't need to go. I'll just stay in Margaritaville with "sweet cheeks" for another day or two or... ?

Finishing off the day at the Southernmost Point Restaurant for some much needed food and refreshments before attacking the wildlife on Duvall Street to hear some six string music with my little, brown eyed girl. While we sat there looking out over the Gulf, the bartenders informed us of several races that are done in January. Looks like some of us northerners might need travel down to the southernmost point to do something different for a change. Who's in? I got the van.
Now it’s hump day on the island and we decided to head to the Blue Heaven for a breakfast rendezvous where they serve heaven on a fork and sin in a glass. Barb, I didn’t share until I was full, but I did have the extra fork ready to pounce. Dougie, you would have tasted this BLT if Reed slipped it on your plate. I think when I get back to home, I’m going to need to get my mercury levels checked from all the seafood I consumed during this two week smorgasbord.


On our way home, we stopped off in Gainesville for some Sushi and a walk around the campus. PMJ, I did run across the field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium for a quick pick six. Big E, I didn't find any gators...ROLL TIDE!




BA

No comments:

Post a Comment