Monday, May 21, 2012

"DAWGS"..."BARSTOW"..."UPCOMING RACES"

A couple weeks ago I was on a group ride out of Crystal Lake. We were rolling on a country road South of Union when a lady started yelling for her dog. Next thing I saw out of the corner of my eye was a dog running up out of the ditch at the tail end of our peloton. Several of us had to swerve to get out of the dogs path. Good thing it didn't get the jump on us...we could have had some serious carbon carnage on the chip seal road. Afterwards, this got me thinking about last summer and the dog that gave chase. I guess it's story time again...

I was cruising down a stretch of country road that I've probably ridden a few hundred times. The farm on this road has a pit-bull that's been chained up every time I've ridden past. This dog never once got up or barked. It never showed any attention by my passing 50 meters away from where it was. However, on this day, the dog was running beside a young man on his dirt bike on this stretch of road. From a distance, it looked like the dog was on a leash, but as I got closer, I released the leash was a figment of my imagination. I decided to slow down a bit and move over to the right as far as I could without going off the road into the gravel. When we passed head on, the dog didn't even flinch or show any interest...or so I thought. As I proceeded to pick the pace up to get the heck down the road, I saw the dog coming up along my right side in the ditch. It then proceeded to force me to the other side of the road with some serious angle pursuit that it must have learned from Urlacher during preseason tackling drills. The dog didn't flinch when I yelled, whistled and sprayed Gatorade at it. It must not have liked the flavor? I did my best to keep the dog at bay, but it eventually got me to hit the brakes and come to a stop. I wasn't ready to go flying over the handlebars as it had its head and shoulders ahead of my front wheel. I've had that happen before as a youngster...I don't need any more stitches and road rash sucks!
Don't be fooled...this "little guy" is 
fast and packs quite the punch!
The owner came running out of the garage yelling that the dog won't bite. Where have I heard that before? Oh...a story from Professor Wynn several years back about his German Sheppard encounter that found his gluteus maximus to be quite tasty. The young man on the dirt bike zoomed up beside me and the dog. By this time, the dog was licking the salt off my right leg, and I was petting it. As the kid grabbed the dog by its collar everything was looking good, that is until I went to click in the pedal. When I raised my right leg to do so, the dog had his top two canines and incisors imbeded in the top of my thigh while the lower canines raked across the back of my leg. It felt as if a juiced up Barry Bonds took a swing at my leg. The owner and young man stood there in shock. They couldn't believe I had been bitten...are you ******* kidding me! What was the most recent time frame for the dog's shots? As the owner ran back into the house to get this information for me, I stood there trying to get both the layer of skin and subcutaneous fat that had been buried deep in the muscle tissue out. Not as easy as it sounds when blood is flowing out. The owner’s daughter was kind enough to bring out a first aid kit...not a lot you can do except to keep wiping up the blood and applying pressure. When the lady returned with papers, I was incredibly relieved to see that the dog was up to date with shots just a little over two weeks ago. Looking back now, I can't blame the dog. Who really knows what previous experiences it's had in life? However, I will blame the owner for not having the dog chained up. Did the dog think I was going to kick it when I raised my leg?

The ride back home was only 11 miles, but I was struggling to ride 15mph as my leg continued to bleed and swell. Needless to say it took forever to get back home. Yes, I probably should have put the bike between myself and dog. I'll remember that next time and pack the bazooka I bought on eBAY. As Professor Wynn had previously informed me..."all dawgs bite." Indeed they do Professor Wynn...indeed they do!
After cleaning my leg four times on the way home
with the remainder of the first aid kit, I'd have to say
it looks pretty damn good considering what happened. 

It's a good thing I don't have skinny legs. If I did, I would
 have ended up with four puncture wounds instead of two.

Yesterday on my ride through America's Dairyland a van passed by with the tags NT HAPPN. I guess that pretty much sums up last weekend and the fiasco with the staging of the Barstow 20K TT. Hopefully, the parties involved can get it ironed out and still put this race on later this summer. There just might be a rider who found his lost "Watts" this season that would like to set a new course record. I'm also sure that racers could handle a flyer that's listed a month or more in advance...that would really be nice. How about no more TBA or two dates possible? The promoters have to remember that racers need the MATTS Schedule to be set in stone before the cycling season starts, so they can plan ahead. There actually just might be more to life than cycling...marriage and family? It would also be nice to preregister for all the MATTS Races (2nd race as well) at once....preferably before the season starts. Some other "time trial series" does this, and their race attendance has definitely improved over the past two years.

Racers really need to do their part as well to help promoters continually secure these events year after year, so stop littering, swearing, arguing with residents, parking where you shouldn't, pissing and changing out in the open. These Equus asinus antics have cost the ABR some awesome venues in the past. Therefore, you need to listen to some advice from Bobke'..."don't be a ********!"

If any of you are looking for a race this weekend, WISPORT will be putting on the L’Alp BI’ Huez Time Trial (10 mile) this Saturday, May 26th at Blue Mounds State Park, WI. I did this race a few years back when I was on some "psychotic journey" to complete a hundred races in a season and weighed a bit less than I currently do. Those of you goats will appreciate the ascent to the finish. It's definitely a race worth doing...all WISPORT Races are.

These three desperadoes are looking forward to the next TT.
Robert Burns, Ben-Jamin Widoff and Mike Burns
The next MATTS event is the WBR Bong and a Half 30K Time Trial on Sunday, June 3rd, in Kansasville, WI. Here's the link to register for the Bong and a Half.

After that...MATTS will take us to the WBR Harvard 33.3K Time Trial on Sunday, June 10th, in Harvard, IL. Here's the link to register for the Harvard 33.3K.

If you are still looking for a partner for the Scarlet Fire 2-Person 40K Time Trial, I'll have a signup sheet at both the Bong and a Half and Harvard TT's. Hopefully, I can take this information and help assist you in finding a partner for the event.


UPCOMING RACES in Illinois/Wisconsin Area:


                               
                           
                                    



Don't forget to check out the Mid America Time Trial Series on facebook. and Mid America Time Trial Series website.


The Jaminator sent me this article today, and I thought some of you "TT Freaks" would enjoy reading it.

Talking with other racers while training and at events. The series doesn't seem the same when you look around and you don't see Charles Gerlach, Brian Harris, Debbie Dust and Mike Jones. I hope everything in life is going well for you guys.

BA

No comments:

Post a Comment